Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Big Three Oh

Wow, today I turn 30. If this was 400-500 years ago, that'd be somewhat of an accomplishment for a big chunk of the human race. Still, it's quite a landmark for me as well, so I want to reflect on what I've achieved in the part, and what I want to do with my next decade.

But before I get to that, there are many people I need to thank. I have the most wonderful family in the world (that's just like my opinion, man). They are utterly selfless, good, kind, and decent people, and a constant source of inspiration and pride for me. Without their support I wouldn't be where I am today, and no one is more precious to me than my family and my wife Julie. She is always supportive of my endeavours no matter how crazy, large or small they may be. I can always count on her to give me her honest opinion, and to really listen to me when I need to get something off my chest. A big shout out to Julie's family as well - they're also wonderful people who always give me support and respect (and the use of the fabulous swimming pool!). I have to say a big thank you to all my friends, no matter how far-flung. I'm very very lucky to be surrounded by so many generous, funny, intelligent and interesting people, whom I can count on. You know who you are - and if you don't, just assume I'm including you with the awesome crowd, because you are all awesome! Never change!

Well, as a reflection, I think I've done well for myself. There's room for improvement, but not too shabby for a level 30 commoner!
- I found someone I love and who loves me back and she even entered into a legally binding quasi-religious contractual partnership with me!
- I managed to complete three university degrees (and have the student loan to prove it!). It was a period of tremendous personal, intellectual and professional growth, and I'm damn proud of myself for having achieved this.
- Not only did I graduate, but I actually found work I really like and that I'm good at in my field! Sure, I might have bad days, but overall I love being a teacher!
- Over the last ten years I think I grew a lot as a person. I've become a lot more self-confident, more social, less reticent, more mature.
- I made a ton of friends that I hope will be a part of my life for many more years to come
- I've worked many many different jobs (more than most people I would wager) in many different fields, and while not all have been equally good, all have given me new perspectives on life and work, and really have been a learning experience.

So what's next? What's in store for the next decade?
- I hope that my family will continue expanding, I look forward to little nieces and nephews, and maaaaaaaaybe some of my own. :)
- I hope to continue developing my teaching career and finally become either a public school teacher or open my own school down the line

- I hope to finally be able to drive. I know it might sound weird, but for a longest time I've had this huge fear of driving. I've been slowly overcoming it, and this year I've taken driving school and hope to pass my driving test. When I do, that'll be a big load off my chest.
- I will finally finish writing a novel I start. I've written short stories, flash fictions, gaming material (some of which was published), editorials and whatnot, but I really would like to finish a novel. I don't even care about it getting published, I just want to write one as a personal achievement (there is one for writing a novel on Steam, right?)
- I hope to finally be able to buy a house, preferably in the country
- I will take better care of my health (and have already started on that), so I can enjoy all of the above!
- And I will finally finish David Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest", re-read Tolstoy's "War and Peace", and hopefully be able to read the end of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by the time I'm 40! Come on Martin, you gotta finish the series before HBO show's seasons catch up!

And that's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment