Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Only two days to go...

... until the end of my practicum in a high school. This has easily been the most difficult thing I've ever done. I've done harder things in terms of academics (my M.A.), I've done harder things in terms of physical labour (BestBuy), I've done harder things in terms of sheer time spent (working 60-70 hours this summer, or pulling 55 hour weeks for months at Resolve), but never have I done something that combined all of this and then also threw in: tremendous responsibility, enormous pressure (future career depends on this), and the level of required emotional control. I would not change the time spent in practicum for anything though. It has been such a tremendous learning experience, I don't even know where to begin to list the things I've learned. In many ways teaching for a single month has altered my perception of not just education, but the world as a whole. It has also forced me to grow in a person, and I haven't done much of that in the last couple of years to be perfectly honest. There have been so many moments over the last month filled with self-doubt and anxiety, but I think I'm coming out of my first practicum placement with a lot more confidence. Just two more days filled with more marking, writing up tests, and last minute handouts and rubrics, and then it's back to university (which - again just being honest - is starting to feel redundant after practicum).

No comments:

Post a Comment